The Navy has reported three new cases of COVID-19 on the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt — the same carrier sidelined for weeks last year when the virus infected more than 1,200 crew members, killing one, Military.com reported.
The three sailors who tested positive haven’t shown any symptoms for the illness and were isolated aboard the ship, along with all identified close contacts, the service said in a statement Monday night, the news outlet reported.
The Roosevelt outbreak was the Navy’s worst last year, and led to thousands of crew members being evacuated in Guam. The ship’s commanding officer was relieved of duty and the acting Navy secretary later resigned.
The Defense Department’s inspector general has found most Navy commands weren’t following pandemic requirements before COVID-19 hit, Military.com reported.
“We know we need to improve and are focused on implementing recommendations in the report,” Lt. Emily Wilkin, a Navy spokeswoman at the Pentagon, said last week in response to the Inspector General’s report, the news outlet reported.
“The Navy’s pandemic plan worked rather well, considering only two out of nearly 300 Navy ships suffered serious COVID-19 outbreaks. Commanders at all levels share the responsibility to ensure that their units are trained and equipped to meet the mission that the Navy and the Nation places on them.”
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.
#COVID19 #Cases #Naval #Aircraft #Carrier #Massive #Outbreak #Hit #Year