Guard deploys immediate reaction force at Capitol after officer, suspect, killed in attack on police there

Guard deploys immediate reaction force at Capitol after officer, suspect, killed in attack on police there

The Washington, D.C. National Guard deployed an immediate reaction force of troops at Capitol Hill Friday afternoon following an attack on police officers there earlier in the day.

The Associated Press reported a car rammed a barricade outside of the Capitol just after 1 p.m., injuring two Capitol Police officers and leading to the driver being shot. Capitol Police officials said one officer died from injuries resulting from the crash, and the suspect died from injuries after being shot.

The incident comes nearly three months after hundreds of rioters stormed the Capitol complex in an attempt to prevent Congress from certifying the results of November’s presidential election. Five people died as a result of the violence, including Capitol Hill police officer Brian Sicknick.

In response to that attack, thousands of Guardsmen were deployed to Washington, D.C. to provide security for President Joe Biden’s inauguration and the weeks following. The current Guard mission is set to expire in May.

About 2,300 National Guard members are currently deployed to the region on security missions.

In a statement Friday, Guard officials said they “deployed an Immediate Reaction Force composed of National Guard soldiers and airmen to the Capitol complex this afternoon to support the U.S. Capitol Police. No National Guard members were injured in the incident at the Capitol.”

That force was “already stationed at the Capitol as part of the Capitol Police’s quick reaction force,” 1st Lt. Deborah D. Ouyang, a Guard spokeswoman, told Military Times.

No further details were given.

Last month, a task force charged with reviewing Capitol Hill security in the wake of the deadly Jan. 6 attack suggested creating a permanent military police battalion staffed by rotating Guard and reserve troops to help provide “quick reaction” support in case of future violence at the site.

The security review — led by retired Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré, best known for directing military relief efforts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 — found numerous shortcomings in the Capitol complex’s security situation, including insufficient law enforcement personnel to adequately protect the several hundred acres under their watch.

Congressional leaders have not yet decided whether to follow through with establishing the semi-permanent quick-response Guard team.

The latest attack on the Capitol complex came during a congressional break, when most lawmakers and staff were back in their home districts. Security officials placed the building on lockdown shortly after the incident.

The barriers where the car crashed have been a permanent fixture on Capitol Hill for years, unlike security fencing that was installed following the Jan. 6 attack.

Military Times managing editor Howard Altman contributed to this report.

Original source

#Guard #deploys #reaction #force #Capitol #officer #suspect #killed #attack #police

About the Author

Anthony Barnett
Anthony is the author of the Science & Technology section of ANH.

Be the first to comment on "Guard deploys immediate reaction force at Capitol after officer, suspect, killed in attack on police there"

Leave a comment